Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A Graceful Holiday Series IX
The Gift of Music

"Then David and all Israel played music before God with all their might, with singing, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on cymbals, and with trumpets."
1 Chronicles 13:8

Prayer for today:
Thank you for the gift of music.  Thank you for songs that bring comfort to my soul and takes me to places that nurtures my spirit.  In Jesus’ name I pray.  Amen

Reflection Corner:
As I write this, I can hear ringing in my ears, It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year and the excitement of the holiday season brightens my day.  Throughout this time, whether you are in the grocery store or listening to your favorite radio station you hear the songs of the season. 

I believe that music is a source to our soul.  Whether it’s classical, spiritual, jazz, rhythm and blues, or country it speaks to us in different forums.  We have a plethora of holiday music to choose from to fill our season.

My Dad was a drummer and music was a very big part of our life growing up. When I was a child, while we were decorating music would always be in our background.  He loved to decorate and I was his little helper.  Our celebrations were centered around music where we would sing, dance and have a wonderful time together as a family and Dad was always in the center.  This Christsmas by the Whispers, takes me back to our apartment in Maryland and we would play this song many times on the record player.  When I hear it today, it warms my spirit and I feel the closeness with my Dad.  Although he is no longer on this earth, his presence through the gift of music, is everlasting. 

Activity Inspiration:
This activity is to create a special file with all of your holiday music favorites (old and new).  Play it in your car, at home, in your office and it will fill your days. 

Journal:
What songs in my childhood can warms my heart?
Who would these songs honor if you could tell the stories of how they impacted you in your past?
 What new songs will you add to your song list?



Dedra

No comments:

Post a Comment