Sunday, November 24, 2013

Attentive to Your Guests

A Graceful Holiday - Blog Series V
BEING ATTENTIVE TO YOUR GUESTS



Prayer:
As we enter into the holiday season, keep our minds centered and focused on you Heavenly Father.  As each guest enter into our home, let us be mindful and attentive to their needs.  In Jesus Name we pray. Amen

Scripture:
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,  but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 38-41

The story of Mary and Martha really put things into perspective for me.  I often think of my sister Corlessia and how when she would come to visit at my mom’s and if there were other guests she would sit down and enjoy the guests, while me, my mom and sister Angela would be busy preparing for the guests.  I could definitely see the roles of Mary and Martha playing out in our household.  Jesus coming to visit us and Corlessia sitting at his feet batting her long lashes listening to Jesus.  We often joke about it, but she is doing what Jesus wants us to do when he visits.  Or as any guest would want from us is to be able to share, listen and pay special attention to what they are doing by not fussing around them but by taking the time to listen and be in the moment to sit and be attentive.

During the holidays, you may get visitors that come without an invitation.  They are not coming to throw you off, they are coming to surprise you with some holiday cheer.  My mom and I often surprise visit my Aunt Mutt, who is 93 years old.  Let me mention a 93 year old that is very active.  Each time we come her home is neat, she offers us a cool drink and a special treat to go along with it.  Last year, we went to visit her during Christmas and the next thing I know she had pulled together a nice meal that we were not expecting.  Now, Aunt Mutt is old school and this comes very naturally for her, she is definitely my inspiration.  I often think how I can be like my Aunt Mutt and how she shows such grace on each visit.  I believe it’s all in the preparation, keeping things simple and being a gracious host that is connected and engaged with your guests.  

Activity Inspiration – Be Attentive - The Right Preparation
In getting ready for guests, especially the unexpected ones here are some tips so you can be prepared without a lot of fuss:
  1. Stock up your pantry and refrigerator on items that can quickly be pulled out in a pinch (i.e. crackers, cheese, olives, sweet pickles, etc.)  Without a lot of fuss.
  2. During the holidays, a nice pound cake (home or store bought) is always a nice treat for guests that drop in.
  3. For overnight guests, find out their favorite foods and if they have any allergies so you can better prepare for them.
  4. Get a lot of good movies, popcorn and other treats so you can have pillow and blanket times.
  5. Create an environment that gives them a sense of refuge to rest during this busy season.
  6. Most important, sit and relax yourself so that you can be attentive and of good cheer.

Journal:

  1. Shopping list for items that can be pulled out quickly in preparation of my guests.
  2. Activities for guests?
  3. What is the best place in your home to entertain guests, that gives a vibe of peace and comfort?  Do you have pillows, blankets in that area readily available for guests?
      Peace and blessings!



Dedra

No comments:

Post a Comment