Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Table Etiquette - Caring & Awareness of Others!


This week in my Civility Class at George Mason I'm teaching table etiquette. As I was preparing for my lecture, I found this great layout for informal and formal tables that I believe will be especially helpful as we are entering the holiday season.  As a young girl, my chore was to set the table for our family meals.  I didn't know at the time that I would be teaching it later on in my life.  It's funny how life prepares you even through your chores!  

One interesting topic on table etiquette and how it relates to civility is the "Salt and Pepper" shaker and the rule that they always travel together.  When someone asks for you to pass the salt you always pass the pepper as well. Dr. Forni, writes in his book Choosing Civility that this meditation on good manners and their ethical underpinnings both expands and gives focus to the awareness of the needs of others. 


We can learn so much from the simple things - even a salt and pepper shaker. I love the focus on the caring and awareness of others. That is what Celebrations from the Soul is about!

P.S.  Check out the book Choosing Civility, by Dr. Forni (great read)!  Have a wonderful day!

  
Dedra

No comments:

Post a Comment